Wind-blown embers from an improperly extinguished fire pit started a blaze that caused more than $100,000 in structural damage and displaced two tenants and a chiropractic business located on the ground floor of a Rock Island, Illinois building. The fire pit was located on an upper level deck, attached to an apartment. While no one was injured in the incident, a spokesman for the Rock Island Fire Department issued a reminder to local residents that recreational fire pits and solid fuel grills should never be used on combustible decks, above ground level, or within 25 feet of any combustible structures such as houses, garages and fences.
Structures & Features
Read more >